Friday 11 December 2015

One hundred things that make me happy

I recently watched a video on a Youtuber’s list of 100 things that make them happy, and even though the video was made many months ago, I thought I would give it a go, and encourage you to do the same.

I am guilty of always thinking of the negatives in my life, especially if I’m in a less than ideal mood. While I’m constantly working on being happier, there are some days where I feel defeated by the world.


My hope for this is that the next time I’m feeling crappy, I can come back to this list and read all of the things I’ve written in this list, and think about the happier times that these things have brought me.

I’ll put a link to the video I mentioned at the beginning here so you have a bit of context.

Anyway, without further ado, here is my list of 100 things that make me happy.

1. My house.

2. My bedroom in particular.

3. The things my bedroom contains.

4. The photos on my bedroom wall. They are photos of some of the most important people in my life, and some of the happiest moments I’ve had with these people.

5. My guitar. Even though I haven’t played it in a long time, but it is one of the things that relaxes me, and I can play it with not a lot of thought.

6. The other wall decorations I have in my bedroom. Some are quotes, and a couple are just random decorative things that I’ve collected.

7. My 21st journal. I had everyone who was at my 21st dinner sign it on the night, along with many of my friends on my actual birthday. Every time I go through and read what people have written, it makes me feel a lot better, and reminds me of a time when I was most content and satisfied with the world around me.

8. This blog. The fact I have an outlet for my thoughts and feelings makes me happy. To know that whenever I’m feeling confused, I can just sit down, write about it, and put it on my blog, and not be judged makes everything seem not so bad.

9. Being outdoors on a sunny day. I love seeing the sun and feeling its warmth as I’m going about my day.

10. Living really close to a supermarket. It is a lifesaver!

11. Living close to another supermarket. It’s nice to know I have options.

12. Being near a bus stop. If I need to travel within the city, I don’t have to go too far to catch the bus.

13. The view from my balcony. I live on the third floor of an apartment block, and the view is so worth the ungodly amount of stairs I have to walk up just to get to my flat.

14. Night time. It is the time where I am most relaxed, and knowing I can stay in bed and browse the internet is pretty great.

15. Writing. It’s one of the few things I excel at, and I’ve always loved it because it is one of the only ways I can get my thoughts out without being nervous or stuttering or mumbling.

16. The fact that my writing has been of a high enough standard to be published, and has also lead to an interesting opportunity.

17. Music. It has pulled me out of the depths and has been there to help celebrate and commiserate. It is another way I’m able to share experiences with the people I care about.

18. The feeling when I hear a song that was a part of a specific day or achievement. It’s like a time machine back to that moment, and I love it.

19. Lyrics. Some songs just have such profound lyrics that have the ability to connect with a person, no matter who they are and what they may be doing.

20. Belting out songs with the people around me. Sometimes you just need to sing songs to get through the day.

21. Vehicles. They have the ability to take anyone from point A to point B in a matter of minutes/hours.

22. Buses. They take me to places I need to be in a relatively timely fashion, and as much as I hate public transport sometimes, it’s still pretty good.

23. Planes. Even though I’ve never been on one before, I’m still thankful that they have the ability to bring people together, no matter how much space may separate them.

24. The feeling of reaching a destination after a long time spent travelling.

25. Stretching your legs after being cooped up inside all day.

26. Long road trips.

27. The moment you zone out while travelling.

28. Seeing people you haven’t seen in a while.

29. Going to places that I haven’t been to in an extended period of time, and remembering 
everything that happened there.

30. Reflecting on things that have changed.

31. The feeling when I realise I have changed for the better.

32. When I solve a problem that has been bugging me.

33. When I learn something new that changes the way I do certain things.

34. When my friends teach me something I might not have known about before.

35. Going to the beach.

36. Or a body of water. Don’t judge me, I find going to a river or beach or lake quite relaxing. Deal with it.

37. The rain at night. It helps me relax and I always feel well rested afterwards.

38. My computer, it has photos, videos, TV shows, and movies on it that I can watch whenever I want.

39. The internet. It opens me up to a whole new world that I know nothing about.

40. Google. Believe me, it has helped me in many ways.

41. Facebook. It keeps me connected with people I may not see very often, and keeps me updated on what adventures others have been participating in.

42. YouTube. It is a host to many types of entertaining videos, videos that make me think, and videos I may not have thought about enjoying.

43. Photos. They are a visual representation of a moment where I was most content.

44. The feeling after I’ve had a shower.

45. Nachos.

46. Steak.

47. Butter chicken.

48. Chocolate.

49. Warm cookies out of the oven.

50. The Big Bang Theory.

51. Glee.

52. 30 Rock.

53. Harry Potter.

54. Awesome comedy movies.

55. Movies that I never thought I’d enjoy.

56. Movies that inspire me, and make me think.

57. My phone.

58. Going somewhere I’ve never been before.

59. Meeting someone I just click with when I first meet them.

60. Making a difference in someone’s life, no matter how insignificant that may be.

61. The fact I’m studying at Wintec.

62. Moving to a new city almost two and a half years ago.

63. Making decisions that can potentially change the way I live my everyday life.

64. The people I’ve met at Wintec. Seriously, they are amazing, and I feel like I don’t give 
them enough credit for being as amazing as they are.

65. The massive support system I have here in Hamilton.

66. My family. They have supported me as I’ve contemplated different things, have been there to celebrate my achievements, and have been there to catch me when I fall.

67. My flatmate and best friend. She is one of the very few people I can always count on to make me feel better on a regular basis.

68. The friends I’ve made while doing various different things.

69. Being alive for 21 years and counting.

70. Knowing that despite the world doing its best to crush me, I still am able to survive and take each breath as it comes.

71. My mum. Her phone calls (however brief they can be) always make my week just that much better.

72. My dad. Knowing that he supports me 100% and is proud of what I’m doing makes me happy.

73. My older sisters. I can always go to them if I need help, and they will always listen and try their best to help me. Not to mention that they are amazing to have around.

74. My older brother, Angelo. He is always there to simultaneously annoy me and love me, even when I throw nothing but sarcastic remarks at him.

75. The nieces and nephews my siblings have gifted me with over the years.

76. Seeing these nieces and nephews. They are constant beacons of joy, and I love them to the ends of the Earth.

77. My extended family. Even though I barely see them, they are always a part of me, and I always look forward to seeing them whenever the opportunity arises.

78. Finding something I thought I had lost.

79. Earning money from whatever job I have just done.

80. Getting events jobs. They teach me more about the industry I want to work in someday.

81. Learning more about the world around me.

82. The feeling of accomplishment.

83. Reading a good book.

84. Being there for someone who needs me.

85. Helping someone through a difficult time.

86. Having the ability to communicate clearly and concisely.

87. Alcohol.

88. Staying up late with friends.

89. Discussing life with the people around me.

90. The times when I’m employed.

91. Money.

92. Being offered (and accepting) an Editor’s role for a student magazine I’ve been writing 
for this year.

93. The weekend. A time where I can just relax (or not if I have homework to do).

94. The holidays – when I can go home and visit my family.

95. Knowing that I’ve done the best I can.

96. Getting really good grades for things I’ve worked hard on.

97. Going to bed after a long and stressful day.

98. Being somewhere where loving whomever I choose is widely accepted.

99. Surrounding myself with people who accept me for who I am. Nothing more and nothing less.

100. Surpassing people’s expectations.


Well there it is, my list of 100 things that make me happy. It’s important to note that there are definitely more than 100 things that make me happy, and that should be the case with you as well. We should all strive to find little things that make us happy in each day.

I’m currently working on another post, which will be posted here on New Years Eve. It will be titled A Year in Review and well, the title is self-explanatory.

Until next time, stay safe, and find happiness in whatever you do.


Tessa.