Friday 15 July 2016

Doing the life thing

If you’ve been around me at any point in the last four or five weeks, you may have noticed a couple of things…



The first, that I’ve been incredibly busy, to the point where all I want to do when I have some spare time (that isn’t occupied with sleeping or eating, or doing anything else to satisfy basic human needs), is sleep and to forget about the never-ending parade of thoughts that come and go at any given point in time.

The second, that in the last three weeks, I’ve been walking around ready to rip someone’s head off if they look at me the wrong way, or say something offensive without meaning to.

The reason for the first thing is that I moved house! As of almost a week ago, I no longer live in a (forgive my description) shitty, damp, two-bedroom apartment in the middle of Hamilton City. Instead, I live in a three-bedroom, two bathroom, actual legitimate house, complete with two of my friends, who, surprisingly, are actually kind of amazing in their own weird way.

Moving house wasn’t something I was expecting to happen quite as soon as it did. Hannah and I had talked about it one day, and I remember making an off-handed comment about moving into a bigger house in the near-ish future (as in the next year or whatever). Little did I know that a couple of months later, another friend would later have the same thought, and we’d all band together to make sure we found a house that suited all three of us.

The house looks really small from the outside, but is actually huge once you get inside! I absolutely love it! We live near a park too, so I know where I’m hiding next time I need to get away! Kidding… Well, sort of…


Here’s what the house looks like. Well, the front gate anyway…



And here are my two flatmates…



And now for the second part of this craziness I call the ‘life thing’…

About a month ago, I receive a message from someone I once called a close friend, wondering how I’ve been since we’ve last talked. Now, I wouldn’t have minded answering that question, if the person on the giving end hadn’t started dating my ex and then proceeding to tell me about it.

Read more here.

Naturally, if I don’t want to talk to someone, I can become quite a wimp and not actually tell them I don’t want to talk to them. Instead I do the cowardly thing of giving them one word answers, or monosyllabic replies, in the hope that they’ll pick up the fact I’m not contributing anything valuable to the conversation, and they’ll eventually give up and stop talking to me.

Unfortunately, if the person is somewhat persistent, and notices that I’m doing it, they’ll ask why, and then I’m somewhat forced to tell them what’s on my mind.

I pride myself on being direct with my feelings, in the sense that if I feel something, I have to let it out in some way before too much time passes and it becomes a hindrance in my daily life.

Anyway, enough of how much of a coward I can sometimes be. Onwards to the point of this diatribe…

This person decided to confront me about my attitude (and fair enough, I wasn’t being too pleasant), and thus started an awkward and heated discussion over Facebook.

A few minutes passed, and suddenly my phone alerts me to a Twitter notification, telling me that my ex-boyfriend has mentioned me on Twitter.

I open it to find that he’s put my Twitter handle at the start, and then proceeds to tell me that what I’ve said is “for high school, not adult life.” – not that I care what he thinks of me, but what the actual hell?!

What gives someone the right to publicly shame another person on social media for something they’ve done that hasn’t been directed at them?

He had a choice to not get involved and make it his problem, but no, he thought it would be a better idea to come at me and shame me on Twitter.

Okay then, you asked for it, buddy, hope you’re pleased with the outcome.

He then decides that our tweets aren’t enough, so he decides to message me on there too.

Long story short, he went away, and I continued living my life as I usually do.

I thought it was over.

Boy, was I wrong!

Not even a week later, he accuses me of something else, and then decides he wants to phone me and talk about it.

Oh please, as if I’m going to be willing to listen to you babble on about how much of a bitch you think I am.

He then turns to someone close to me to complain about my behaviour towards him, and how I can’t stop talking about him, and other assorted things. All of which, I find both hilarious and incredibly untrue.

For someone who claims that they have a huge social media following, and a busy public speaking career, he sure has a lot of time on his hands to continuously check up on what his ex-girlfriend is doing and saying to other people.

And yes, I know he’ll read this and laugh at how ridiculous I’m sounding.

I don’t care. Read it and weep, sucker.

You have the nerve to shame me on social media, and then write a blog post about how pathetic and stupid I am. You deserve this rant, so I hope you’re enjoying it!

I am my own person, not everything I do on social media is for the sole purpose of attacking you, but clearly you think that it’s a good place to drag my name through the mud.

Recently, I was told you’re taking legal action on someone, because they told some people about your behaviour online. Quite frankly, I’m glad you’re being somewhat punished. You can’t expect to live your life on social media, shame someone for their actions and words, get all angry about it, and then not have any consequences for your own behaviour on such a public forum.

You brought it on yourself, so sit there and have a good, long think about what you’ve done. If you do it again, be sure that no one will go easy on you.

Anyway, that’s enough of my ranting. Other than all of that, I’ve been interning at Soda Inc. during my five-week holiday, and I’m due to return to the last semester of my degree this coming Monday. I cannot wait to get stuck in and watch the time disappear!

I’ll be back hopefully soon with more adventures, and hopefully less venting.

Tessa.