Tuesday 22 July 2014

Oh what a year can do!

So today is a rather special day, for a lot of reasons. One – it’s actually my mum’s birthday and two – I started my first ever day at Wintec. Now, exactly one year later, I return to the same place. A lot has changed, and I’m slightly older. My attitude towards a lot of things has changed; I think I see things a little differently than I did before I moved to Hamilton. There’s something quite nice about change, it shows you all of the things that life has planned for you (even though some of those things are less than ideal), and it also shows you the people that are willing to stick with you through all of your good and bad times.


I never really thought of myself as being able to stay at one place for too long (I get bored quite easily), but now that I’ve lived in Hamilton for a year, I realise now that this is where I’m supposed to be. All my life I’ve been searching for somewhere that I belong. It isn’t Hamilton necessarily, but more Wintec I guess. It feels kind of weird that I say that Wintec is where I belong, but I firmly believe that it is. I mean, where else do I get to talk to people that have experienced the industry I want to work in when I’m older? Where else will I find like-minded individuals that are all too willing to help? All these and more are the reasons why Wintec is such a special place.

I’ve also met some of the most incredible people I know at this point last year (and later as well). I think I’m more grateful for these people, as they made the move away from my family and my home (in Mount Maunganui) that much easier. I often reflect on the moments I’ve had here in Hamilton from the past year, and I can’t help but feel proud at how far I’ve come, and the things I’ve managed to achieve in that time. A year seems like a really long period of time, but really, it isn’t. Being in Hamilton and away from my family has taught me the importance of having good people around you, and making sure that you are heading on the right track. I can personally vouch for every single one of my friends, because in one way or another, they have kept me on the right track, and have made sure that I haven’t done anything too stupid.

At first thought, I instantly hated Hamilton, for the simple thought that I was so far away from all that I was comfortable and happy with. But then I realised that one of my best friends (Hannah) was already here, so I always had her to turn to. She understood how I felt because she had moved here six months earlier – we were (and still are to this day) each other’s crutch. We support each other and help each other when life gets us down. A new place and scare and confuse people sometimes, but Hannah and I always managed to survive. I love this woman with all my heart, and I’ll never be afraid to show or admit it.

I started my first class of my second year today and it was actually really funny. Not the class necessarily, but just the thought of where I was one year ago today. I mean, it was genuinely hilarious. To know that a year ago, I was there, just starting out – to now, it just made me smile.


One more thing that being away from my family and my home has taught me – is to treat every moment that you spend with your loved ones as if it may be your last.