Monday 8 September 2014

Life Appreciation Post

It feels like such a long time since I wrote something positive and happy on this blog… I think it’s time for a change in tone, don’t you?


The past three weeks have been rather interesting in terms of personal development. I managed to drive someone away with my snarky attitude (although they deserved it), but I also managed to grow a little bit closer to someone else.

One thing that is really obvious about me is that if you annoy me, I will react to it in one way or another. That is a fact. It’s something I think people tend to forget about from time to time, and when it comes out, they are left surprised (and a little stunned) that I can be capable of such an attitude.

In reality though, it is a defence mechanism. When you’ve been through half of the shit that I have (I shall divulge in a future post), you have to learn to develop a thick skin, and not let things get to you. Although I am great at blocking things out, I am also great at snapping really easily. Like someone could say something or do something, and suddenly I’m out for anyone.

However, I think I need to learn to be a bit more calm and rational, because I said some things I’m not exactly proud of during these three weeks. I need to learn to not be such a bitch (please excuse my language) to people, at least not straight away anyway.

I find myself getting a lot closer to one of my friends, which is nice. Aletia is amazing, and so positive and uplifting – it’s a welcome change. The rest of my friends are just as amazing, and I don’t know if I’d be half the person I am today without them.

I also performed at Biddy Mulligans (I know I talked about it in a previous blog post, but this time I actually did it), and it was really good. It was a very spontaneous thing, but I’m glad I had the opportunity to perform. I will definitely be repeating that experience, as it is something I genuinely miss. Performing. I haven’t performed for a crowd in almost two years, so it was quite a change – a welcome one though. I was even recorded by a kind man; he approached me after I had played my two songs and asked if I would like them. Of course I said yes, so I’ll be able to show my friends that weren’t there what I did (but I hope that the next time I play there, that they’ll come and support me).

We are currently in the last week of the first half of semester two at Wintec (that sentence was really confusing to type), and things are crazy busy! I’m handing in two assignments this week, and I couldn’t be happier. One of my assignments was for Advertising Workshop; we had to design an anti-bullying campaign for young people. The group that I ended up with had two Visual Arts majors, so our final products look really professional and tidy (in my biased opinion) – we present our campaign tomorrow (Tuesday). The second assignment I’m handing in is five reflective journals about five different TV programmes. This is for a class I’m taking called Reading Television. At first glance, I didn’t understand the assignment – I mean writing a 400 word journal entry about a TV programme, makes no sense. I just watch TV, I don’t analyse it or critique it in any way… I just watch it because I’m bored and there isn’t much else to do. Anyway, I finished all five journals and I hand them in on Wednesday.

At the end of this week, I am officially on holiday for two weeks. I honestly cannot wait for this!! Classes and assignments get very stressful at times, and I hardly get to see some of my friends, even though they are at the same place – we have different timetables so it’s hard to get together sometimes. Hopefully we can all organise a time when we’re all free to catch up and chill out, because I actually do miss the people I never get to see.

I’m also planning to go back to my hometown (Mount Maunganui) during my holiday as well. I miss my family (and the few friends I still have there) immensely, it’ll be good to see them again. Hopefully I’ll get to see my older brother and his family as well, because the last time I went back home, I didn’t get to see them, and I wasn’t too happy about it.

PS - I'd just like to wish my older brother, Angelo, a happy birthday!! I love you xxx


Anyway, blogosphere – it’s time for me to go to bed.
As always, stay tuned for more “thoughts I have”
Tessa