Wednesday 8 April 2015

30 Day Writing Challenge - Day Eight

April 8, 2015
Day Eight - A letter to a product/company

Dear alcoholic beverages,


Thank you for making my social situations a bit more enjoyable. Sometimes I just need something to help make me feel a little less awkward and uncomfortable. Luckily for me, somebody invented alcohol – and hooray for that!

Thank you also for helping bring my friends and I together in ways we never thought possible. We don’t always drink alcohol, but when we do, it makes our conversations venture deeper than most of us dare to go. It reveals ourselves to everyone around us. It also helps me learn more about these people I call my friends.

Alcohol also helps me in family situations. I didn’t have any alcoholic beverages until I turned 18. I mean, I drank alcohol once at a friend’s party, but it was three weeks before I turned 18, and my sister knew where I was going and who I’d be with. She also bought the drinks for me.
I bond with my siblings over a few quiet drinks, always in the surroundings of my family – and I genuinely enjoy it. We never get loud or violent when we drink, it’s just relaxed and we talk about the strangest things. I tell them about all the things I get up to when I’m in Hamilton, and they tell me things they do when I’m away.

While I know and understand that alcohol can be bad, I believe it is only bad in the hands of the wrong person. Alcohol can be used to enhance social situations, but it can also hinder people’s reactions (especially while driving), and can make them turn violent or aggressive.


Yours sincerely,
Social and cautious alcohol drinker.